I have been painting since 1998 as a natural progression from studies in both Interior and Textile Design in the early 80’s.
Encaustic has been my chosen medium since 2007 when a move to the countryside led me to question the sustainability of materials in my work. Encaustic (a mixture of beeswax and damar resin) appealed to all my senses and soon became my medium of choice.
Encaustic painting is an ancient and enduring technique which predates oil painting and was used by the Egyptians to decorate their sarcophagi. Its history and use continues to fascinate me as I explore its endless possibilities.
The practice of working in a hot medium presents an exciting yet demanding challenge due to the constant metamorphosis of the wax via the heating and cooling process. The hot wax is applied to a rigid ground and is built up in layers. The application of heat between layers fuses each layer to the last. The medium is layered and combined with graphite, charcoal, ink and pigments in multiple layers sealed in by the wax. This interplay between the layers creates an enigmatic depth and translucency in the work, a luminosity not available through other mediums.
Recent projects have included installation, a community project, ceramics, and the application of textiles in a 3D encaustic context.
I currently work and run encaustic workshops, teaching at Summer Schools in Auckland as well as from my studio in the South Wairarapa.
- Morpeth Canaday Award 2001 - 'Best Landscape'
- Telecom Art Awards 'Finalist' (BOP) 2001
- Franklin Art Awards 2002 - 'Contemporary Art Prize'
- Wairarapa Review 2011 - 'Highly Commended Award'
- Auckland Easter Show 2013 - ‘Merit Award - Small Works’
- Parkin Drawing Prize 'Finalist' 2015
- Paraparaumu Rotary 2016 - 'Best Abstract'
- 'Moonlight and Magic’ - Solo Exhibition (Greytown) - 2011
- Brackenridge Spa Gallery - Solo Exhibition (Martinborough) - 2011
- ‘HOT STUFF’ - Works in Wax, Cafe Deluxe (Wellington) - 2012
- Wax Works - Café Baobab (Wellington) - 2012
- 50 Shades of Green – Lochmara Lodge (Marlborough) – 2014
- ‘Remember to Remember’ - WW1 Comemorative Exhibition
- Aratoi Museum of Art and History (Masterton) - 2014
- Expressions Arts and Entertainment Centre (Upper Hutt) - 2015
- 'Explorations' - Village Art Shop - Greytown - 2014
- NZ Art Show (since 2009)
- Artbourne - Eastbourne 2012/2016
- Original Art Show - Auckland 2013
- Timaru Plunket Show - 2013/15/17
- Bijou Eliot Design – New Plymouth - 2013
- Artrove Group Show - Wellington 2013
- WaiArt Show - Carterton 2013/14/15/16/17
- Life Education Trust Show - Wellington 2014
- 'Iti' - Martinborough 2014
- Martinborough Contemporary Art Auction - 2015
Works available at:
- Ora Gallery Wellington
- Parnell Gallery - Auckland
- Art Bureau - Auckland
- NZ Academy of Fine Art - Wellington
- Artel Gallery - Waikanae
- Moko Artspace - Whitianga
- Kotare - Greytown
- Con-Art - Masterton
My work is held in private collections in
New Zealand, Europe and the UK.
Contact Details :
0064 21 1886439